Strike the anvil on enterprise radio

An Entrepreneur's Journey Mobile App

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

ABARI Bamboo sunglasses - Abari Abdulhamid Damilola #inthespiritofenterprise

Who would have thought, all that bamboo growing all over our land could be used to create really cool stuff. A few weeks back I read a feature on digest.bellafricana.com about a Ghanian lady who makes bicycles with bamboo and I was wowed.



Fast forward a few days and voila, bamboo again, but this time by a Nigerian making the coolest sunshades ever! You have got to read about him, and I agree with him, "Obe to dun, owo lo pa". Read the main story to find the translation ... lol

Enjoy.


Tell us about yourself


My name is Abari Abdulhamid Damilola, 27 year old (6th March 1989), from Lagos State, Nigeria. I am the first son and child of my Parent, and I have 3siblings. I am a graduate of Igbinedion University Okada, where I majored in Mechanical Engineering and I am currently pursing my MSc in Process Safety and Loss Prevention from University of Sheffield, UK.

I’m a typical Lagosian, born to hustle (legit), Engineering is my first love before I found business as my side chick, both of which complement each other, “Production and Management wise”, I am very versatile in my thinking and always wanting to solve problems, while I’m doing that I try to increase my source of income to become financially independent.

My Life philosophy : No body gets lucky unless they take the opportunities that come their way.

Tell us about your business





Business Name: ABARI Bamboo sunglasses

Started : January 2016

Why: Alternative to plastic sunglasses whose durability is not compared to Bamboo frame sunglasses

Information About the frames

THE FRAMES MODEL

CREAMIE MODEL
The Creamie model are made from ecological bamboo which is the original colour of the bamboo. This sunglasses are eco-friendly, water resistant, that float on water and Non-slippery when sweating unlike the plastic frame glasses.

They come with Wayfarer style, TAC polarized lenses providing full sun protection for your eyes from UV rays and strengthened flex-steel hinges.

COFFEE BROWN MODEL
Coffee model bamboo sunglasses are eco-friendly, look awesome, and they float on water. non-slippery when sweating and more reliable than the plastic frames.
They come in a Wayfarer style shape and suits most face notwithstanding the size of face



ACCESSORIES
Each pair comes in a hard bamboo case with a silk lens cloth, silk bag and a little gift.



LENSES
TAC (Tri Acetate Cellulose) polarized lenses offer superior visual and polarization clarity. They are hard coated to resist scratching and block out 100% of all harmful UV rays up to 400 nanometers, and are also lightweight and highly impact resistant.

LENS COLOURS
Available in Blue and Green, black other colours are coming out soon




What was your inspiration for starting this business?

I wanted to stand out from the crowd...as far as nigeria is concerned, I think I am one of the first to venture in this line...I have seen a few people also in the field of sunglasses but not with bamboo frames.

How did you get funding for your business?

Basically its been from my pocket, my savings from my previous jobs

What opportunities have you been able to leverage on in your business so far?

None yet as I have been running on my on resources, also the fact I am not presently in Nigeria as I am doing my Masters degree abroad.

What Challenges have you faced so far and how have you been able to overcome them?

Convincing people that the prize justifies the product...people expect me to sell as the same rate as the once on the street but as the adage goes

...a pot of soup that is sweet..the money involved is what "killed" it.

I am of the opinion if you can afford to buy a fake at 7000 naira then buying an original at 10000 naira is not too wide for a range.

How will you summarize the journey so far?

Challenging...mixing studies and business is two tasking but i'm still young and have got the ability to multitask.

Given the Chance, will you do this again?

Over and over again, infact I should have started earlier before the fake sunglasses flooded the market, with people thinking they are wearing the real deal... An average RayBan cost between $100-300 and what is sold in Nigeria is less than $5...

What lessons have you been able to learn from your journey so far that others should know.

When you try to solve a problem you can create a business out of it.

Everybody wants to wear sunglasses but people don't know the consequence of wearing a FAKE lens which is what is rampant in Nigeria.

Abari Sunglasses has a C.E and the lens are certified to protect from UV rays that has the potential to destroy human sights.

How can people connect with you

Contact details
Email: abaritm@yahoo.com
Instagram: @abaritm
Twitter:@abaritm

No comments:

Post a Comment